Thursday, January 01, 2009

What A Year Can Do

It doesn't seem that long ago, but last January, we were about to open "Oscar and Felix" at the Strauss. If you've followed my blog, you know that this was one of my most rewarding experiences in a play. The friendships that began during the play have lasted for over a year now. Plus, I've seen my three poker-playing buddies find the loves of their lives...and two of them have already married. Wow!!!

I'll never forget the first time that we read for our parts together. We were in the lobby of the Strauss with the director, Dennis, and Toby O and John, the two leads in the play. The four poker buddies were Matt, Michael Wayne, Steve, and me. We took turns reading the different parts. No matter which parts we read, we always seemed to go back to the ones that ultimately made it to the stage. I remember thinking that I was a rookie with a bunch of all stars. Similar to being starstruck, I didn't feel like I belonged in the play with these guys. Mikey entered during the initial rehearsals as the assistant director. But ultimately, Steve had to drop out and Mikey assumed the role of "Roy". After that, all the pieces of the puzzle were in place.

The run was successful and, in my humble opinion, was the most entertaining show offered last season. One night, Matt's sister filmed us. I watched some of the footage again today and decided to offer it to you. Every night, we tried to up the ante with something. Watch for this in the video...Matt slaps my shoulder after I say "twelve". I really believe he was trying to hit me harder and harder every night.

No comments: