Sunday, November 30, 2008

Capturing A Moment

Part of the fun of Thanksgiving is having everybody at home. I love the short work week; and because I can stay up late cooking or watching movies, I take full advantage of the situation.

Now I know a lot of people don't enjoy slaving in the kitchen...cooking all the fixings normally offered as Thanksgiving fare...especially when a lot of the goodies take longer to prepare than Rachel Ray would like you to think. But there are moments in the kitchen when all of my senses are on overload; and the memories created in my gray matter, I wouldn't trade for all the money in the world.

Think about it. When you're cooking, your eyes are looking at delicious edibles, your ears are listening to sizzling sounds, your nose is taking in all the sensational smells, your hands are feeling the warmth of the oven, and your taste buds are sampling all of the savory foods. Sensory overload, right?

I don't know if your memory works like mine, but I remember "seconds" like these. It's as if my brain takes a snapshot...capturing a moment...an interval of time that will last throughout the years. But these moments are multi-dimensional...they include all of the senses.

As you grow older, you learn to appreciate these moments more and more. Both of my parents have passed away, but I can remember moments with them around Thanksgiving that are just as vivid today as they were when they actually took place. In fact, they may be even more vivid now. I guess my imagination has "enhanced" them over the years. Trust me...that's a good thing.

Well, I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Be a sponge! Soak it up. Take in all the sights, sounds, smells, tastes, and textures. Live every day like you're gonna have a pop quiz on today's events...tomorrow. If the Lord is willing, you'll get to see tomorrow.

Now I change the subjects without actually changing the subject. We spent a little while yesterday taking Christmas photographs. Many of the shots were posed...everybody smiling. I happen to like the candid pics better. You know the ones...no posing...people acting like they normally act. I selected a few of these photos to show you. I offer you these because they capture a moment, albeit strictly visual. Still, you get the picture, right? (Get the pun?)


We took too long to pose for this one


Right after I made an inappropriate
reference to the nutcracker's sword



Trying not to laugh at each other


No, this is not posed. She can't keep her
lips off of me. Who can blame her?

No comments: