Sunday, September 14, 2008

Genius...Yeah Right



If you've followed my blog long, you know that I am helplessly, hopelessly addicted to my iPod. Love it...don't go anywhere without it.

Well, John, my oldest son, was home the other day and he told me that I should download the new iTunes 8 software. He told me that it had a new feature called Genius that will create playlists for you just by selecting an anchor song. Sounded cool to me so I immediately downloaded it.

In my first attempt, I selected a jazz song by Dave Brubeck called "Take Five". I clicked Genius and, low and behold, 24 other songs magically appeared on a new playlist. It had selected Herbie Hancock, John Coltrane, Charles Mingus, and other jazz artists that I would have chosen as well. However, it threw in some "off the wall" selections that I don't think belonged. Take for instance: Kenny G and Dean Martin?!? In my opinion, those two don't belong on the same list with serious instrumental jazz musicians.

I tried it again with a blues artist...Johnny Winter. This effort proved to be more on target. It put 25 bluesy artists together and I was pleased with this list.

Not to leave well enough alone, I tried a pop playlist. For the first song, I chose Sara Bareilles' "Love Song". Genius followed that one with songs by John Mayer, The Afters, Switchfoot, and the GooGoo Dolls. Good so far, right? But who in their right mind would include Sara Bareilles and Jimi Hendrix's classic song "Purple Haze"? Not me. I wouldn't put Led Zeppelin or the B-52's in that list either, but Genius did. Are you kidding me? I can see Jimi Hendrix and Zeppelin on the same list...but with the B-52's...and Sara Bareilles???!!! C'mon, iTunes! I think Genius needs to go back to college to get more knowledge.

No comments: