Monday, July 28, 2008

That's How I Roll

I'm going to attempt to do a final blog on Death of Dr. Pepper. It's easier said than done because I had a great time leading up to and during the performances of this play. Hey, wait a tick! I've still got videos and photos on my camera from the last weekend. Heck, I can do some more blogs this week. Sawry! But I have given you fair warning. hehe

My hat is off to our director, Steve Munz, and my fellow actors, Priscilla, Krystle, Laura Michelle, Mikey, and John. Also, I'd like to recognize the waitstaff...namely, Rhonda, Pat, Betty, and Hope. Unfortunately, they had to play along with my character...even when they were stressed and tired. The blog today centers on my creative process; which, I'll admit, is rather limited at times.

Every night during the show, my performance began at the Cork Room bar. I would enter, inconspicuously, at roughly the same time people began receiving their soups and salads. My job was to sit and "notice" the unusual activity happening during the next hour and a half. If you didn't make the play, let me explain some basic elements: Dr. Pepper would enter looking for his wife, visit with some tables, and then leave. Then Mrs. Pepper #1 would enter, visit with some tables and leave. Next, Mrs. Pepper #2 would enter, visit, and leave. Finally, Mrs. Pepper #3 would do the same as the others. Afterwards, Dr. Pepper's nephew would enter looking for his doctor and aunt. By the way, he's never met his aunt yet, because she and the doctor recently married. Eventually the nephew would become a nuisance and my character's job was to step in and calm him down.

All of this action took place during 7:00 to 8:30. Every show, I'd sit at the bar for an hour and a half. I only had two people approach me during the nine performances. Both times, the people that approached me were already working on trying to solve the murder mystery. The murder hadn't even taken place yet, but they were already trying to solve it. Needless to say, I had a lot of private time at the bar. Had it not been for the aforementioned waitstaff, I probably would have lost my mind. They kept me swimming in gin...wink, wink. Actually, every night they'd pour me a highball glass of water and add some olives as a garnish. In my solitude, I'd usually play with a map of Monroe. But the most important thing I did was try to come up with something new to pick on Mikey's character.

I always had a pen, but rarely did I take any paper into the bar. So, I would use what was available...napkins. I've included a sample of three nights of doodlings. When I would come up with an idea, I'd jot it down on the napkin and read it over and over. Sometimes, I'd talk it out in my character's voice trying to get the rhythm and timing right. And, of course, I'd have to do it quietly because tables were less than ten feet away from me. Usually, Mikey would give me some ideas before the show began....that's teamwork. We all wanted this play to be a success...even if it meant our character would be the "butt" of the joke. To help you understand why I wrote what I wrote, it's important for you to know that Mikey's character is accused of being a bedwetter. At a certain point in every show, I'd run off with at least three jokes about peeing problems. They weren't all funny. {Baseball analogy follows} In fact, some were "swings and misses." But some were homeruns. Most important though...we stood at the plate and took cuts at it. And like one of my coaches' favorite lines: I would "swing hard just in case you hit it." {End of baseball analogy}

All that being said, here's some of my work. I realize it's rudimentary, but that's how I roll....4 real.

1 comment:

Cathy Burgess said...

LOL, that's great!