Sunday, July 20, 2008

Free Falling


I took this shot at Florida's Gulfarium in Fort Walton Beach.

During the summer of 2004, we took our annual vacation to Orange Beach, AL. One day of the vacation, we drove to Fort Walton Beach, Florida for a change of pace. During the trip, we visited Florida's Gulfarium. This place has some really neat "hand's on" exhibits and I highly recommend it to anyone visiting that part of Florida.

Similar to other aquariums, they have shows with the different "stars" interacting with one another. Our favorite had to be the dolphin and sea lion. At one point during the "act," the dolphin lunged out of the water and took a fish hanging out of the sea lion's mouth. It just so happened that I had my camera poised and ready for the photo. Usually, these moments pass me by, but on this day...I nailed it. Plus, I was fortunate to capture a bird flying by in the same shot. Wooohooo!!! 10 out of 10!!! What a great feeling it is to be able to capture a precise moment!

I tell you this in an attempt to describe the absolute joy I have been experiencing with "Death of Dr. Pepper." We have an ensemble cast that has literally jelled together like no other I've worked with. The scripted part is entertaining, but the improv that takes place every performance is astounding. After the show last night, I told one of the audience members that we know where we are going, but we don't always know how we're going to get there. And that, my friends, is FUN! Also, I can't get over how unselfish everyone has been. I've received some of my best ad-lib lines from other cast mates before the show. Mikey, on numerous occasions, has given me some of my best zingers; and usually, he's the butt of the joke he gave me.

John, in his first dinner theater production, has done splendidly. The crazy thing is he has no scripted lines! I don't think I could have pulled that off. I can hear the conversation now: "Mark, we want you to ad-lib for about an hour or so as two different characters. You in or you out?" Mark: "Riiiiiiiiiight....see ya." I would have left in a hurry, but John has taken it on and keeps adding to his improv skills. I am one proud papa...getting to see his courage up close and personal.

Another thing that gets me is how the ladies, Priscilla, Krystle, and Laura Michelle, roll with anything we throw at them. Their characters have to be unaffected most of the time, while Mikey, John, and I are trying to "one-up" each other. How they manage to keep a straight face, I'll never know. It's not an easy task, Petey, not an easy task.

To sum it up....improv is addicting. I don't want this one to end; and, when it does, I'm going to be anxious for another one. I guess this is the equivalent to parachuting. You don't always have a safe landing; but when you're unsupported in the air, there's no feeling like it in the world. In the immortal words of Dr. Evil, "It's breathtaking...I highly suggest you try it."

3 comments:

Laura Michelle said...

YES! Parachuting! But I honestly think that's how ALL acting is-scripted or no. It's our way of living on the edge in our personal time. :)

MajorLamont said...

I agree. John is great. The apple doesn't fall far from the tree!

Cathy Burgess said...

in my humble opinion, improv can be a lot more entertaining than scripted lines. it takes someone who thinks quickly and doesn't panic. some of my favorite theatre stories are about improv incidents.