Wednesday, June 18, 2008

I Can Walk and Chew Gum, But...

For Father's Day, my family gave me a new pair of running shoes. I've been running/walking and eating better for about two weeks. I've actually lost a little weight. Yippeee! I've been going for a short walk to warm up and then start running. I'll run a few blocks and then walk, run a few blocks, then walk. Hopefully, before long, I'll be able to run the whole 2.7-mile trek that I follow. Usually, I do this at night. It's typically cooler and the traffic is not as bad. Unfortunately, some blocks are not well lighted.



I can walk and chew gum at the same time. But I learned last night that I can't walk and change songs on the iPod at the same time...at least, not in the dark. You see, in 2000, I severely sprained my left ankle while we were at the beach. The doctor told me that I tore the thing up. He also informed me that the ankle may be more prone to roll when I least expected it. Yesterday morning, I was getting something out of my car and stepped half on the driveway and half in the yard. The ankle popped and I almost ate some grass. Fortunately, I was able to recover before I completely fell flat. Later last night, I decided to go for my run. I walked down my street and then walked one more block before I made the fateful decision to change the playlist on my iPod. When I started thumbing through the songs, I accidentally stepped half on the pavement and half in the grass...with the same left foot. Before you can say "wipe-out," I was on my hands and knees. Now get a clear picture in your mind. Here's a 48 year old guy...on his hands and knees...on the street...at 9:00 at night. When I figured out what happened, I immediately started listening to see how many people were laughing. Luckily, it was so dark and late, that no one was out. I gathered myself together and started walking again. My right shin was burning, my right-hand pinkie was throbbing, and my left palm was scuffed up. But I kept walking. Eventually, I started running and finished the course.

I took some pictures when I arrived home. Then Daniel cleaned the scratches and applied some hydrogen peroxide.


Today, the sore on my right leg hurts even worse. It was scratched up pretty bad. And my left ankle is sore. I'll tell you...getting old is not for cowards.

Fortunately, I rehearsed as the Wizard of Oz in the Miss Louisiana Pageant tonight. Surrounded by a bunch of pretty girls, a guy can forget about bruised legs and sore ankles. Come see us Thursday, Friday, and/or Saturday. It's supposed to be televised this weekend. Be sure and look for the wizard hobbling around on stage...that'll be me. =D

1 comment:

Cathy Burgess said...

Maybe you should wear leathers when you run. Besides keeping you from getting all scratched up during a fall, they would also make you sweat like you were in a steam room. You could kill two birds with one stone and lose weight faster! Just kidding. Glad you didn't break anything but skin.