Monday, June 23, 2008

Behind the Curtain at Miss LA Pageant



Thanks to Gayle Frick, Daniel and I were allowed to perform during the 2008 Miss Louisiana Pageant. This was an extremely fun experience; and one that we won't soon forget.

We went to the Civic Center on Wednesday at 4:00 P.M. to learn our blocking. We weren't sure what to expect because we've never done anything like this before. Daniel was in a couple of skits with the Fleur de Lis Princesses dancing to songs from "The Wizard of Oz." I have a great deal of respect for the choreographer, Kelly Justice. She masterfully taught about 54 little girls some blocking and some dance numbers. That's a chore in and of itself. But then the thought occurred to me...they're performing this routine...LIVE...the very next night!!! A daunting task to say the least! Daniel was joined by two other Youngtroupe veterans, namely, Jacob Branson and Beaux Coleman. Daniel was the Tin Man, Jacob was the Cowardly Lion, and Beaux was the Scarecrow.

For some reason, they decided to postpone my blocking until later that night. It just so happened that I got to "physically introduce" the ladies as they entered in their evening wear. First, though, I had to run out on stage as the girls sang about the "Wonderful Wizard." Now, this was a hoot! Imagine...a dozen or more girls...in long formal dresses...doing a dance routine...and me running through the middle of them! During the rehearsal on Wednesday night, it was very easy. The girls were dressed in casual clothes, everyone was relaxed, and I had enough room to drive a car on stage. Thursday night in front of a live audience was a different story! When I first entered, I noted that the girls were farther downstage than we had rehearsed. No problem, I thought. But when I turned to rush upstage, I didn't immediately see a hole to fit through. Plus, all the girls were wearing long dresses...suitable for tripping goofy wizards like me. I darted and dodged and made it through....whew! I'd love to tell you it was an isolated incident. But on Friday night, the girls were even farther downstage. Luckily for me, I've learned how to tap dance with only about 2.5 feet of floor space. So, no probleemo. Again I had to dart and dodge to make it through. I have to admit that I worried that I'd meet my ultimate demise on that stage, though. No, I didn't think God would call me home via heart attack. What I feared was the thought of knocking one of the girls down and an angry mob lynching me right up there on stage. Fortunately, no one stumbled and all went as planned. Trying to learn blocking for a live show in 30 to 45 minutes is called "flying by the seat of your pants." But, in the end, it all worked.

The little video I offer is Daniel dancing on stage during the broadcast on Saturday night. I wonder if someday he'll look back and think...."I was dancing on stage next to three Miss Louisiana winners." I know it amazes me! Glinda, the good witch, was played by Miss Louisiana 1995, Karmyn Tyler. The singing Dorothy was played by Melissa Clark, Miss Louisiana 2003, and the dancing Dorothy was played by Miss Louisiana 2007, Amanda Joseph.

What a great experience!

3 comments:

kidcardco said...

Listen to that crowd... if you didn't know any better you'd think I was on that stage!!

Ha ha ha ha!! I SO want to do Wizard of Oz!!!

Anonymous said...

So...I thought that singing and dancing Dorothy was a little much. You were my favorite wizard...hehe

Karmyn said...

Oh wow! My mom just found this! How cool!! It was SOOO much fun and everyone did so well!!

Hee, hee, check out that mic hangin' off my dress! I couldn't put it inside my dress or I wouldn't have been able to breath!! Eek!!! :)

I just put a link to it on my blog!


Thank you SO much for putting that up!!