Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Focus, Baby, Focus

I have focus issues. I like to move from one thing to another...abruptly...it's just the way God made me. When I'm on a project, I can stay laser-beam focused on it until the task is complete. (You'll get to see that in the attached video.) But getting me into tractor beam can be a problem at times.

A gentleman greeted me after a show at the Strauss one night and said he knew my father, but he didn't "know" my father. He continued by stating that my dad always moved from one interest to another so quickly that no one could keep up with him. Perhaps you've heard me say "I was born my papa's son, when I hit the ground I was on the run." Now you can appreciate how truthful that statement is.

Anyway...let's roll the video. My friend, Chris Coon, wrote some "lyrics" and I was trying to put them to music. So I picked up the guitar, came up with a nice little bass line, and tried to fit the words into the music. I've written hundreds of songs throughout my life. Problem is...I can't remember the music to most of them anymore. So lately, I've been videotaping my hand movements so I can remember the chords. Pretty smart, huh? What I want you to pay special attention to is the focus I have while playing the song. Near the end, my phone starts ringing, but I have the presence of mind to finish the song just before it's too late to answer the call. Focus, baby, focus.

3 comments:

Michael W. Wilkes said...

I would have had to answer the phone by the second ring. I have a thing about letting phones ring too long. Maybe I have a problem focusing as well. I mean, when I get started on something... Sorry, my phone is ringing. I'll finish that thought later.

MajorLamont said...

What Wilkes isn't admitting is that his phone never gets the chance to get to the second ring b/c it's always in his hand.

kidcardco said...

Geez... I kept waiting for the interuption. : )