Sunday, February 03, 2008

Not Your Typical Super Bowl Sunday




I haven't missed watching many Super Bowls. As a kid, I remember watching only parts of the game when the Dolphins beat the Redskins to preserve their undefeated season. We had a football game going on outside that was much more important to me. I missed Super Bowl XIV, Steelers vs Rams, because I was driving back from New Orleans. My fraternity had a winter formal in the crescent city that year.

But tonight takes the cake. My daughter, Meredith, is in town because LSU is out for Mardi Gras. Usually, when she's in town, I cater to her whims. However, I turned the game on in the den and popped a squat on the couch. Meredith was sitting beside me but she was busy doing something on her laptop. I thought to myself...this is great. I've got my girl home and I'm getting to watch the game. Life couldn't be better...little did I know.

Meredith finished whatever she was working on and walked over to the TV. She asked me if I wanted to watch something with her. My answer, of course, was "Yes, the Super Bowl." But she promptly put in a DVD of "Little People, Big World." We watched about an hour's worth and I sat patiently...longing to know the score. She grew weary of watching that show, so she got up and asked if there was something else I'd like to watch. "Yes, the Super Bowl." Unfazed, she put in "Gilmore Girls." Did you read that!!!??? I watched several episodes of "Gilmore Girls" while the Super Bowl was on. ...And you thought it was easy being me.

Well, God rewarded me for my behavior. Throughout the GG marathon, I went to the bathroom on a regular basis....wink, wink. Truthfully, I would walk to the back of the house and check the score. You're going to think I'm lying, but every time I walked to the back, somebody would score. I didn't get to see the whole game, but I saw every score in real time. Wacky!

Then the thought occurred to me: how many dads were watching "Gilmore Girls" with their daughters during the Super Bowl? I may not be in a class by myself, but it doesn't take long to call roll.

1 comment:

Cathy Burgess said...

How cool is that? You did a good thing and were rewarded. I have never ever seen an episode of the Gilmore Girls. Have a great day.