Thursday, January 31, 2008

Fiddlin' Around with Hil





We had a heavy thunderstorm here today. Since a portion of my work is outside (and I don't like getting wet) and a portion of my work is on the computer (which I turn off during storms), I took the downtime to go visit my friend, Hilton Lytle. Mr. Lytle is 85 years old and is a retired school counselor. But he is most famous for building and repairing fiddles here in north Louisiana and central Arkansas. In fact, he helped start the Ozark Folk Center in Mountain View, Arkansas. Hil has "graduated" (his term for “built”) over 240 high quality fiddles in his life.

Back during the summer, my oldest son, John, started to graduate a fiddle with Hil. But, similar to others his age, John got too busy with school and work. So I've decided I'd finish the fiddle with Hil's guidance. We glued the top back on it today during the storm. What a great blessing it is to have someone of such wisdom and character to talk to and work alongside. Hil is one of this region's greatest treasures. Since, I lost both my father and mother within the past five years, Hil is the closest thing I have to a living parent now. And I couldn't have asked God for a better role model.

After we glued the top on, he picked up another fiddle and started sawing away...playing, that is. "Ooooo boy," he said as he played and tapped his feet. We also started making plans to build a cigar box mandolin today. We're just in the beginning stages on that one, though. We fancy ourselves to be mad scientists. Hil recently built my wife, Angie, a cigar box fiddle. It plays and sounds great. So, my wish for you today is one of Hil's favorite lines, "Happy Playing!"



1 comment:

Cathy Burgess said...

That is really cool. I didn't even know there was someone around this area who did that sort of thing. How long does it take to "graduate" a fiddle?