Tuesday, May 26, 2009

The Pause

As you may have noticed, the Cutting Edge has been slowing down. I looked back and I really haven't written many personal blogs since I celebrated the anniversary back in January '09. I think the one year anniversary was similar to a finish line for me. Could I write consistently for one year? I proved to myself that I could, but more importantly, I proved (again to myself) that I possessed an inking of what my father had.

But lately, I haven't felt the urgency to write. I have plenty of story ideas, but I didn't sense a growing audience. And plain and simple, I didn't want to "play to an empty house." I know my creativity should not be tied to whether or not someone is reading. But I'm pragmatic in some things. I tell myself to major in major things, and minor in minor things. Writing is a major thing. It requires time, effort, and vulnerability. For the time being, I don't think I am willing to give those precious items away any more.

My dad wrote 3 books. I hope if you haven't already purchased one, you will soon. I think you'll like his sense of humor and his outlook on life. He ended each book with "the pause." He never liked saying "the end." It was too final. And trust me, he was never through telling stories. He was never through making people happy. So...tonight I offer "the pause" to those of you who have grown to enjoy the Cutting Edge. I'm not through, but I'm going to take a break...a pause. When the time is right, I'll be back. Thanks for coming along on this part of the journey.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have come to love reading your thoughts and find myself clicking on the bookmark for your blog every day just to see if you've left us another "tidbit" of yourself. Though I completely understand and appreciate your need for a pause, please know that your daily entries will be missed.

Looking forward to your return..... ~jules

Cathy Burgess said...

I understand "playing to an empty house". I am there too. I write a few things now and then, but I often wonder "why?". I have throughly enjoyed your blogs and even though I don't comment on every post, I do read them. The good thing about pause is you can always hit play again whenever you are ready.

kidcardco said...

Mikey's been on "pause" for almost a year now. Don't be gone that long. : )