Friday, February 13, 2009

How To Define Beauty

Today is my wife's birthday. No, I'm not gonna tell you how old she is, 'cause age doesn't matter. At least, it doesn't seem to affect Angie. Y'see, Angie hasn't aged...much.

Well, yeah, she's a year older than last year...and a little wiser. But if you were to look at photos of Angie from 20 years ago, you'd be hard pressed to notice any differences in today's version. She has what I call "timeless" beauty. So, I thought I'd take a minute to talk about what is "timeless" beauty.

Before I was married, I could look at a supermodel and think, "Wow! That girl is drop-dead gorgeous." Funny thing happens though. Later in life, you see the effects that aging has taken upon that beautiful model. And sometimes, the results aren't very pretty. Maybe it's fast living, not eating properly, not exercising, all of the above...I dunno. But some of those poor ladies let themselves go and it's not a pretty sight.

Sometimes I think that an actress is stunningly good looking. But then, I've seen too many on televised interviews that changed my opinion. Y'know, they open their mouths and prove without a shadow of doubt that they are dumb as a box of hammers. I don't know about you, but I think beauty has to have a brain too. If you're not smart enough to pour pea soup out of a boot without instructions on the heel, you're not pretty.

Another pet peeve of mine is language. My dad used to correct girls if they used profane language. He'd tell them, "It's so sad to see someone as beautiful as you...have an open cesspool on your face." I agree. There's nothing that destroys a woman's beauty quicker than foul language. It cheapens her presence.

Well, I could go on and on. (You're thinking, "No Mark, enough already!") Timeless beauty is a combination of many things and I've only covered a select few. But I'm here to tell you, my wife has timeless beauty. She is prettier to me today than she was when we first got married. I really don't know how she does it; but, somehow, she has found a way to make the hands of time stand still.

Happy birthday, Angie!

No comments: