Thursday, December 04, 2008

One Man's Junk...

About a month ago, Angie and I went to some garage sales. This is one of Angie's favorite things to do on Saturday mornings. Rarely do we find anything earth-shattering; but, on occasion, we do find a few jewels in the rough.

Today I remembered one of our "finds". While shopping at a home in River Oaks, I ran across a bunch of cd's that a gentleman was selling for $1.00 each. I thumbed through his collection and found a jazz recording by Pete Fountain. My dad loved to listen to Pete play his "licorice stick", aka, clarinet. Well, I snatched the cd and was perfectly content with my selection.



The homeowner saw that I had looked through the cd's and realized I had selected only one. He walked over to me and whispered, "If you see anymore cd's in that collection, just take 'em. They're yours if you want them." I nodded and smiled, but I was happy with what I had. I walked over to another set of items he had for sale. But I guess greed started eating at me. Before I knew it, I was in front of the music collection again. I was thumbing through them when the homeowner walked over and said, "I tell you what, you take all those cd's if you want them. The whole kit and kaboodle."



Again, I acknowledged his gracious offer, but there were about 30 or 40 cd's in the box. I didn't feel right about taking them all. So, I countered back, "How much for these 4 cds?" He smiled and said, "One dollar." I handed him a dollar and as I turned to walk away, he reached out and handed me another cd.

As I said earlier, one of those "finds" came to mind today. So I scrolled through my iPod and started playing the first song. The cd is "Now That's What I Call Christmas! 3" It's a 2-disk set. Disk 1 is slap full of the traditional songs that we're all familiar with. You know 'em, you love 'em...Nat King Cole, Bing Crosby, Elvis, Burl Ives, Frank Sinatra, Brenda Lee...just to name a few. Take my word for it, they're all good. Disk 2 is more contemporary in nature with artists like Springsteen, Mannheim Steamroller, Band Aid, and Celine Dion. I have to admit that the producers dropped the ball on Disk 2, though. There are a few songs that I've never heard before...and after today's virgin listening voyage...I probably won't be eager to hear them again. C'mon...Britney Spears, The Big Yard Family, Joe?!? Singing Christmas music?!? Not on my iPod! Thanks, but no thanks. This is where the "check/uncheck" button on iTunes becomes extremely useful.



I'm goofy like this...but when I got home, I calculated how much I paid for that cd. I received 5 cd's that day for $1.00. Therefore, each cd cost me 20 cents. The 2-disk Christmas cd had 36 songs. 20 cents divided by 36 songs equals $0.0056 per song. Not bad...not bad at all. Even if there are five or six songs that make me feel like a grinch.

Well, gotta git. I gotta uncheck some song on my iTunes. /singing/ "Oh, the weather outside is frightful..."

2 comments:

MajorLamont said...

Currently I am listening to The Osmonds Family Christmas per Laura Michelle's request. I wish I could uncheck the whole album NOW.

pard1959 said...

I could tolerate any insurance seminar. For days I could sit there and listen to them go on and on with a big smile on my face. They'd say, "How can you stand it?" I'd say, "'Cause I've been with Del Griffith. I can take ANYTHING." You know what they'd say? They'd say, "I know what you mean. The shower curtain ring guy. Woah."

Getting through the Osmonds Family Christmas is right up there. So, here's a gun so you can blow your brains out. You'll thank me for it.