Saturday, December 20, 2008

Almost As Good

I offer this video from Mother's Day, 1987. My family had met at my parents' house for lunch to celebrate. You will get to meet my mother as she loves on toddler John. You'll meet one of my sisters, Judy, and her husband, Richard. Also, you'll see Judy's two boys, Addison and Taylor. Maggi, my niece, is in one brief shot, but her brother, Robert, can be seen throughout the video. You can't miss him because his mouth never stops. Also, you'll get to see my father, Harry. We all called him "Pa". My other sister, Kathy, and her husband, Bob, left as I began filming; and, therefore, I didn't get any shots of them.

I'm afraid you might get the feeling that you've entered the McCallisters' house. Remember, at the beginning of "Home Alone" when Joe Pesci is pretending to be a cop and he can't get anyone's attention because of all of the clamor. Welcome to our horde...grab a seat and hang on.

Towards the end, my father will look at the camera and say to me that it was "almost as good". He was referring to something that I cooked that day. My memory is at a loss for what the food was, but it was some dish that he had taught me how to cook. His comments were to let me know that the student was still not up to par with the teacher. Funny thing is I'm still chasing his legacy today.

No comments: