Monday, November 24, 2008

R U REDdy?

It's not even Thanksgiving yet, but I heard Christmas muzak while I was out shopping this weekend. I'm starting to feel like one of Pavlov's dogs...hear the music, buy Christmas presents. Too bad I don't have any money.



Don't get me wrong, I love Christmas just as much as most folks do. But can't we get one holiday out of the way before we crank up the next one?

This work week will be short for me. Just a few years ago, this was usually one of my busiest periods. Real estate typically doesn't sell much during the winter months. But years ago, I made the decision to cater to some 2nd mortgage lenders. It was amazing how much business they would write during November, December, and January. People would borrow to finance Christmas gifts. Then, in January, some would always spend more than they should and wind up consolidating their credit card debt into one bill. It kept me hustling throughout the winter months and I liked it.

I expect this year will be a different story. People don't want to borrow when they're not sure they will have a job next spring. As a matter of fact, my 2nd mortgage work has been dwindling over the last three years now. So it looks like I will get to spend several nights staying up late watching movies with my kids this week. It'll be fun. Plus, I really enjoy time with my family.

But I wonder, what's your opinion on the stores thrusting Christmas on us so soon? Have you dressed in red sweaters already? Have you fallen prey to the "sales" the stores are offering? Have you got this song humming in your head yet?

Hark how the bells,
sweet silver bells,
all seem to say,
throw cares away

Christmas is here,
bringing good cheer,
to young and old,
meek and the bold,

Ding dong ding dong
that is their song
with joyful ring
all caroling

Well?!? Are you REDdy?

No comments: