Monday, June 16, 2008

Plug Me In and Let Me Play

I started this guitar theme on my photoblog several days ago; and I've decided to offer them on my blogspot too. To give you an idea what I'm doing, I'm just listing my guitars and explaining what they mean or have meant to me. I realize this isn't going to be everyone's cup of tea, but it will be an off-the-beaten-path diversion for the days you're surfing the 'net.

High School - circa 1977

The first one I show you is my initial electric guitar. It was an Aria Les Paul copy. I don't know the actual model number because I traded this one in for a new guitar in 1978. Yes, I regret the decision. The guitars made in Japan back then were fairly good instruments. I bought the guitar for about $150 at Hunt and Whitaker Pawn Shop, which was located in downtown Monroe. The action (space between the strings and the fret board) was almost non-existent. Therefore, it was very easy to play...even for an amateur like me. FYI, if you have ever wanted to learn to play guitar, I advise you to start on an electric guitar because of the lower action. Unfortunately, most parents buy their kids a cheap acoustic guitar to start. Usually, the action is higher on these guitars and the kid winds up having sore fingers. As the pain increases, the fun diminishes. Then the guitar winds up selling in a garage sale for next to nothing and the cycle begins again. As a contrast, you can buy an electric guitar and small amplifier for under $200 now. Trust me, you're fingers will thank me!

Air Mark

Now, back to the guitar. Les Paul guitars are made by Gibson, one of the largest and most respected guitar manufacturers in the world. The guitars were named after a gentleman named Les Paul. I believe he is still alive and he's got to be in his 90's. The guitar was introduced in the 50's and still remains one of the most popular electric guitars today. Growing up in the 70's, most of my rock idols played Les Pauls, e.g., Jimmy Page of Led Zeppelin. Guitar manufacturers like Aria purchased a license from Gibson to produce "copies" of the guitar. Usually, they were good guitars but were priced for the working man or teenagers like me.

a band named "Tyr" - I'm 2nd from left

I played this guitar for about 3 years before I made the fateful decision to trade it in. This was one of the sweetest instruments I've ever played. Great action and two humbucking pickups. (I'll explain that in another blog.) I miss this little honey!

No comments: