Monday, March 31, 2008

24 Years and Going....


About this time twenty four years ago, I was taking a shower. I wanted to be all "gussied up" for my first date with Angie. She and I had met in a Computer Information class at NLU in the spring semester of 1984. There's an interesting story regarding how we actually met, but I'm saving that for another blog.

I arrived at her apartment in my un-air-conditioned 1968 Ford Bronco. When she answered the door, I thought I was looking at a supermodel. She was standing about 3 or 4 inches taller than me and was radiantly beautiful. She looked down at me and said "I'm really uncomfortable in these high-heel shoes...do you mind if I change?" She went to her bedroom and returned in some flat shoes. She was still a tad taller than me, but it wasn't as noticeable. We went out to eat at the Warehouse #1 Restaurant. A bunch of my buddies had been there for Happy Hour and were waiting to see me with my date. Long-story-short...they invited themselves to our table and dined with us. Later we went to a club and danced.

Towards the end of the night, I took her back to her apartment. She invited me to come inside for a glass of Coke. Back then, I had given up drinking Coke, but I wasn't going to turn down the offer. Angie opened a brand new 2-liter bottle and handed me a glass. I thought to myself...I'll drink that bottle dry just to sit and talk with her...and I did...the whole 2 liters.

So, that's how the journey began...24 years ago tonight. What a date!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

And she hasn't forgiven herself since....

MajorLamont said...

I still remember my first date with Angie. Wait a min......

kidcardco said...

You're a lucky man Mark. I wish a chump like me could have it that easy with the "super models"!

Anonymous said...

That is such a sweet story! One day you need to tell me the story of how you met.

Megan

Kimber said...

That's so cute!!!

Cathy Burgess said...

How sweet.